In Broward County, nearly 2 out of every 3 adults and 1 out of 7 children are overweight or obese mainly due to poor nutrition and the lack of physical activity.
Obesity contributes to chronic diseases and early deaths from high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
TOUCH Partners are working together to ensure Broward County Residents, especially children, low-income, and those living in high-need communities have access to physical activity opportunities and healthy foods by:
- improving nutrition quality and increasing physical activity opportunities throughout the community
- improving the quality and amount of physical education and physical activity during the school day and after school programs through the YMCA SPARK (Sports, Play, and Active Recreation for Kids) Program
- improving nutrition, physical activity, and screen time policies and practices in early child care settings
- increasing the number of designated “baby-friendly” hospitals
- increasing access to healthy foods through urban farms, farmers markets and community gardens
- increasing the accessibility, affordability, availability, and identification of incentive programs supporting small store initiatives, new grocery store development, and farmers markets.